To help pet owners care for their precious canine or feline family members in all kinds of weather conditions, The Weather Channel offers a pet-specific forecast at http://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/pets/.
Owners enter their location and provide some basic facts about their pet, such as age, size and hair length. Users are then returned a personalized “PetCast” with information on how to care for their pet in forecasted conditions, including weather-triggered alerts, an outdoor comfort index, the best time to walk their dog, flea activity and more.
Expert meteorologists at The Weather Channel developed the unique PetCast, with input from veterinarians.
The Pets Planner includes:
- Pet Care Guides, a catalog of articles that provides advice on hundreds of topics from dealing with cold weather to how to handle pets during emergencies.
- The Park Locator that allows owners to find local parks to walk their dogs and check the local weather
- Mosquito Activity Forecasts make it simple to check local mosquito activity levels and find the latest on prevention tips.
- A dog-walking calculator, so owners can track how many calories they burn walking their furry friend.
- Plus: Owners can browse message boards and share local pet events with others, and submit photos of their own pets to the gallery.
Initial feedback from users appears to confirm that the Web site has found favor with animal lovers " and even animals, themselves. One comment noted that when hearing “Let’s go check the weather,” the user’s Bichon Frise responded by running to the computer.