This complete guide was written for all who have just taken a pet dog into their household or for prospective pet parents who are about to acquire a canine companion.
Author Andrea Arden is a well-known trainer who currently works on Animal Planet’s shows, Underdog to Wonderdog, Dogs 101, and Cats 101. She begins by pointing out the importance of understanding canine psychology and a dog’s learning capacity as necessary prerequisites to effective and humane training. Also discussed are several different approaches to dog training, canine temperaments, an impulse control. Her training directions cover topics that include:
- Housetraining, with reference to short-term and long-term confinements, food, water and walking schedule, and more
- Socialization, with reference to handling and gentling, bite inhibition, introduction to people, socializing with kids, and more
- Dog Training 101: Foundation Exercises, which includes exercises in eye contact, teaching a dog to come when called, sit, down, and stand commands, walking on leash, and more
- Physical and Mental Activity, with advice on teaching games and tricks, agility training, and more
- Correcting Behavior Problems, including excessive barking, destructive chewing or digging, begging, and more
Barron’s Dog Training Bible is filled with instructive color photos, and features a spiral binding, which will keep the book open to chosen pages when training is in progress.
About the Author
Andrea Arden is a Certified Pet Dog Trainer, a Certified Pet Partners Team evaluator for the Delta Society, and a certified evaluator for the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen test. She is the director of Andrea Arden Dog Training, and was named the best dog trainer in New York by New York, W, Time Out, and Quest magazines and the Daily News.