GAINESVILLE, Fla., April 23, 2015 — Today, VetFolio.com debuted Course 5 in its groundbreaking Veterinary Forensic Science and Medicine series. In this course, which is specifically focused on Animal Crime Scene Investigation, registrants learn to appropriately work crime scenes, including gathering, cataloging, processing and evaluating evidence, so they can assist with animal-related cases at a higher level of expertise and credibility.
Course 5 includes pre-recorded core and elective classes, followed by a short quiz. Enrollees who complete the core curriculum earn a certificate in Animal CSI.
The six-part series, created by Melinda Merck, DVM, America’s top forensic veterinarian, is open to veterinarians, veterinary technicians, practice staff, animal welfare workers and students. It’s also applicable and open to members of the legal community, including investigators, attorneys and law enforcement professionals.
In these self-paced courses, students study online under faculty who are experts in their respective fields. The cost is $375, and veterinary professionals can earn up to 12 hours of continuing education (CE) credit. Contact Support@VetFolio.com for information on group discounts.
Course 5 Core Classes:
- CRAP: Crime Scene Recognition and Preservation (1 hr) – Gillian Deegan, JD, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney, Botetourt County, Virginia
- Bloodstain Pattern Analysis (2 hr) – Anita Zannin, M.S.F.S, AZ Forensic Associates, LLC
- Forensic Entomology (2 hr) – Gail Anderson, BSc, MPM, PhD, School of Criminology, Simon Fraser University
- Animal DNA (1 hr) – Beth Wictum, University of California Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine; Director, Veterinary Genetics Laboratory, Forensic Unit
- Legal Hurdles in Animal Cruelty Investigations 101 (1 hr) – Gillian Deegan, JD
- Animal Fighting (3 hr) – Janette Reever, Deputy Manager, Animal Fighting Investigations, The Humane Society of the United States
Course 5 Elective Classes:
- Thinking Outside the Box: Alternative Routes for Charges (1 hr) – Gillian Deegan, JD
- Whose Jurisdiction Is It? Using Multiple Agencies (1 hr) – Dana Miller, DVM, Shelter and Forensic Veterinarian, Contributing Author – Veterinary Forensics: Animal Cruelty Investigations, 2nd Ed.
VetFolio.com, owned by the North American Veterinary Community (NAVC) and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), is a subscription-based online portal available to veterinary professionals 24/7. It provides hundreds of hours of RACE-approved continuing education (CE) courses, thousands of conference proceedings and other useful content, along with peer networking for all members of a veterinary healthcare team.