The American Kennel Club® announced today the seven group recipients of the 2009 AKC® Breeder of the Year Award. The award honors breeders who have dedicated their lives to improving the health, temperament and quality of purebred dogs.
“”The AKC Breeder of the Year has become one of the most anticipated and highly regarded awards in the sport of purebred dogs,”” said Ron Menaker, AKC’s Chairman of the Board. “”We are proud to recognize these exceptional breeders for their accomplishments and contributions to their respective breeds.””
A breeder is chosen from each of the seven groups: Sporting, Hound, Working, Terrier, Toy, Non-Sporting and Herding. The individual group recipients will receive a medallion in recognition of their achievements on Sunday, December 13, 2009 at the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship. At the end of the presentation the 2009 AKC Breeder of the Year will be announced. Additionally, a canine portraitist will be commissioned to commemorate a prominent dog from the recipient’s kennel, and their name will be inscribed on a perpetual trophy and plaque on permanent display at the AKC headquarters in New York City.
The group winners are:
- Sporting: Leslie Russell ” Oregon City, OR, Avon Farm Irish Setters
- Hound: Claudia Orlandi ” Essex Jct. , VT, Topsfield Basset Hounds
- Working: Judith G. Cooper ” Lake Barrington, IL, Tip’N Chip Great Pyrenees
- Terrier: Maripi Wooldridge ” Mebane, NC, Terrydale Airedale Terriers
- Toy: David Fitzpatrick ” East Berlin, PA, Pequest Pekingese
- Non-Sporting: Jean & Robert Hetherington ” Oxford, NC, Hetherbull Bulldogs
- Herding: Michelle Edling ” The Dalles, OR, Sky Acres Belgian Tervuren