GREENWICH, Conn., April 17 /PRNewswire/ — Sixty-two percent of all U.S. households own a pet. In fact, forty-seven percent of U.S. households own more than one! That’s why the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA), along with nearly 50 of its pet product manufacturer members, will help U.S. pet owners celebrate and reward their companion animals during May’s National Pet Month with the Pet Owner’s Savings Bone-nanza on its website at http://www.appma.org.
"Whether they are furry, feathered or finned, the majority of the
country’s population can certainly attest to the power companion animals bring to their lives on a daily basis," commented Funda Alp, director of communications for the trade association. "We hope consumers will take advantage of the special savings, discounts and rebates that are available for their favorite pet products and pamper their pets, perhaps just a little more than usual, during National Pet Month."
According to the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association’s (APPMA) 2001/2002 National Pet Owners Survey, those who own pets universally report companionship, love and affection as the top benefits associated with ownership.
APPMA’s 2001/2002 National Pet Owners Survey also reports:
- More than three out of ten U.S. households currently own either a dog or a cat
- More than half of the nation’s dog owners (53 percent) believe owning a dog is good for their own health and well-being
- Seventy-three percent of dog owners claim they treat their canines like members of their family/one of their children
- Nearly seventy-five percent of bird owners say companionship is the top reason for owning a feathered friend
- Eight out of ten cat owners say their pet is fun to watch and have in their homes
- Nearly seventy-five percent of fish owners report fish help them relieve stress
- Sixty-one percent of small animal owners and nearly half of the
country’s reptile owners report their pets help teach children lessons in responsibility
"Whether causing you to smile while watching a kitten play with string, relaxing while sitting in front of an aquarium filled with tropical fish or lowering your cholesterol and blood pressure levels when taking Fido out for an evening walk, pets have the ability to help owners live healthier and happier lives," said Alp.
Founded in 1958, the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association is the nation’s leading not-for-profit trade organization serving the interests of pet product manufacturers and educating the public on the many joys and health benefits associated with pet ownership. APPMA’s membership consists of
nearly 650 companies, which include both small businesses as well as the nation’s leading pet product companies.
SOURCE: American Pet Products Manufacturers Association
Web Site: http://www.appma.org