Teva Animal Health, Inc. Expands Nationwide Ketamine Recall
Update December 28, 2009
Teva Animal Health, Inc. has clarified the voluntary nationwide recall with the following information for veterinarians:
- Not all Teva products are affected by the recall.
- Teva Animal Health also manufactures ketamine products for other companies. Regardless of the brand name on the product, look at the lot number on all ketamine hydrochloride (100 mg/ml in 10 ml vials) products.
- If the lot number is 6 numeric digits, the product is NOT part of the recall
- If the lot number is 7 numeric digits, the product should be returned
- If the lot number starts with "5401", regardless of the number of digits or the presence of letters in the lot code, the product should be returned
Veterinarians with questions may contact Teva Animal Health at 800-759-3664 from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (CST) Monday through Friday.
December 22, 2009
The FDA has announced that the nationwide voluntary recall of 100 mg/ml ketamine hydrochloride injection, USP in 10 ml vials has been expanded to include all lot numbers within their expiration dates to the Veterinary Level. This expansion is due to increasing reports of serious adverse events associated with the drug's use.
Veterinarians who have this product in stock are instructed to immediately discontinue use and return all bottles to their distributor.
For additional information, read the FDA press release.